And Patch.com knows there are plenty of residents out there willing to lend a helping hand.
With that in mind, Patch.com has looked to volunteermatch.org., a website aimed at bringing "good people and causes together," for volunteer opportunities currently posted for the area. Here is a look at five of those opportunities:
- Magazine Publishers Family Literacy Project is looking for a volunteer literacy ambassador to help collect and bundle recycled magazines for literacy programs in homeless and domestic violence shelters, food pantries, mentoring and job training program. More information is available on VolunteerMatch.org.
- American Cancer Society- DuPage Area is looking for friendly volunteers to work in its Survivor Reception area at the 4th annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk on October 20 at Cantigny Park in Wheaton as well as volunteers in its registration and T-shirt area, the accounting area and assistance on Oct. 19 walking around the gardens to decorate and stake signs.
- DuPage County Health Department Behavioral Health Services is looking for volunteers to read books to our clients' children during selected DuPage County Health Deparment clinic hours. Read more on VolunteerMatch.org.
- People's Resource Center is looking for computer instructors to volunteer to teach computer classes in Windows, Excel, Powerpoint and other Microsoft applications as well as food pantry volunteers and computer service representative. More information is available on VolunteerMatch.org.
- MetroMentors Youth Mentoring is looking for mentors to meet one-to-one with a child in grades 1 - 8. Mentors meet one hour a week to take part in activities the kids enjoy. VolunteerMatch.org has more information.