The Wheaton boys' co-op swimming and diving team finished second in the IHSA sectional championship, qualifying for next weekend's state championship meet. Hinsdale Central was the champion of the sectional meet.
The team also celebrated some sectional champs, including JT Simoneau in the 100-yard freestyle race and Simoneau, Max St. George, Matt Rogers and James Hasbrouck in the 400-yard freestyle event, according to the Wheaton Co-Op website.
Rogers set the team's record in the 100-yard backstroke event with a time of 53.78. In the 200-yard medley relay, St. George, Cameron Rosenthal, Tommy Reminger and Simoneau set the team's record with a time of 1:36.40, and in the 400-yard freestyle relay, the new record is now 3:11.28.
Matt Rogers’ 100-yard backstroke time was also a new Wheaton North High School record, and St. George set a new school record and team freshman/sophomore record in the 200-yard IM with a time of 1:58.52, according to the team's website.
The following swimmers will compete in the IHSA state championships this weekend:
- Max St George (SO, WNHS) - 200 medley relay, 100 back, 400 free relay
- Cameron Rosenthal (SR, WWSHS) – 200 medley relay
- Tommy Reminger (JR, WWSHS) – 200 medley relay, 500 free
- JT Simoneau (SR, WWSHS) – 200 medley relay, 200 free, 100 free, 400 free relay
- James Hasbrouck (SR, WWSHS) – 50 free, 100 free, 400 free relay
- Matt Rogers (SO, WNHS) – 100 back, 400 free relay
- Matt Zhiss (SR, WWSHS) – alternate, 200 medley relay
- Peter Hummel (JR, WNHS) – alternate, 200 medley relay; alternate, 400 free relay