I wanted to share with you some quick facts pertaining to health, wellness, and pain syndromes. Hope you enjoy!
- The most common type of low back pain is called "non-specific low back pain" and accounts for approx. 90% of all cases in primary care settings ~ Institute of Health Economics 2011
- Back pain usually resolves in 2 weeks, but symptoms may linger for up to 2 months. ~ IHE 2011
- The median time to recover from low back pain is about 7 weeks, but relapses are common. ~ The National Musculoskeletal Medicine Intiative 1999
- 73% of low back pain patients have suffered a previous episode and 61% reported that at least one of the recurring episodes was worse. ~ Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 2012
- 20% of women who suffer from severe back pain during pregnancy refrain from having more children out of fear their severe back pain would recur with another pregnancy. Obstetrics & Gynecology, February 1998
- Only 8% of people succeed in achieving their top New Year’s Resolution. Journal of Clinical Psychology, December 2012
- Children who eat three or more fast food meals a week have a 39% greater risk for severe asthma. ~ British Medical Journal, January 2013
- Women who walked more than 3 hours a week were 43% less likely to suffer a stroke compared to those who didn't do any physical activity. ~ Stroke, January 2013
- Alcohol contains 7 kcal/g (second only to fat, which contains 9 kcal/g). A glass of wine has 178 calories and takes 38 minutes of brisk walking to burn off. A regular alcohol drinker may get up to 10% of their total calorie intake from alcohol. ~ World Cancer Research Fund, January 2013
- People who regularly consume sugary drinks are more susceptible to becoming obese or overweight. Annually, the average American consumes 100 lbs of sugar from drinks. Regularly drinking sugary beverages may amplify obesity in those genetically predisposed to being overweight. New England Journal of Medicine, ~ September 2012
- Short interruptions (such as the few seconds it takes to silence that buzzing smart phone) have a surprisingly large effect on one's ability to accurately complete a task. Interruptions of just three seconds can double your chances for making errors. ~ Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, January 2013
- In the 1920s, 97% of US college students were required to take Physical Education (PE); today, that number is at an all-time low of 39%. 34% of adolescents and teens ages 12-19 are overweight and 17% are obese. These rates have roughly doubled since 1980. The median PE budget for schools in the US is $764 per school year in K-12 and 61% of PE teachers report an annual budget of less than $1,000. Obesity will cost the US $344 billion in medicalrelated expenses by 2018, about 21% of the nation's total health-care spending. ~ Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, January 2013
- Inflammation is your body's natural response to injury and is part of the healing process. However, if proper care is not received, inflammation can hinder the healing process and may lead to scarring, improper motion, and additional pain. Signs of inflammation include: pain, heat, redness, swelling, and loss of function. Chiropractic adjustments and care can reduce inflammation and pain naturally!
We realize that you have a choice in where you choose your healthcare services. If you, a friend or family member requires care for neck or back pain, we sincerely appreciate the trust and confidence shown by choosing our services and look forward in serving you and your family presently and, in the future.
Dr. Scott Hallums is the owner and chiropractic physician at Wheaton Chiropractic Spine & Joint Center located at 340 W. Front St., Wheaton, IL. (630)580-9457
Wheaton Chiropractic Spine & Joint Center was founded on the principles of RELIEF. RECOVERY. RESULTS. Our number one goal is to get you out of pain and back doing the activities that you enjoy. A combined approach of chiropractic manipulation, soft tissue work such as instrument assisted and Active Release Technique, and functional rehab, will allow the body to heal and recover at a quicker rate than traditional care. The treatment and care at Wheaton Chiropractic Spine & Joint Center will allow the body, joints, and muscles to move more efficiently and function at their optimal level.