Illinois State Treasurer Dan Rutherford will visit DuPage County this week to publicize the state's efforts to get money and unclaimed property to the rightful owners. Called Cash Dash, events will be held Oct. 4-6. The dates and locations are:
Tuesday, Oct. 4: Lisle City Hall, 925 Burlington Ave.
- 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.: Cash Dash staff will be on site to help local residents. find out if they have unclaimed property. Rutherford and Rep. Michael Connelly (R-Naperville) will speak at noon.
Wednesday, Oct. 5: Glen Ellyn Civic Center, 535 Duane
- 8:45 a.m.–10:45 a.m.: Cash Dash staff will be on site to help local residents. Rutherford will speak at 9:15 a.m.
Thursday, Oct. 6: , 211 Prospect, Elmhurst
- 12–2 p.m.: Cash Dash staff will be on site to help local residents. Rutherford will speak at 1:15 p.m.
“People are thrilled to find out they have money just waiting for them through Cash Dash,” Rutherford said. “I encourage area residents to come visit me at local Cash Dash events for assistance is locating their money or property—plus everyone should make an attempt to review our online database annually so they don’t miss out on money or valuable assets the state is holding for them.”
The treasurer’s Unclaimed Property Division has $1.5 billion in cash, plus contents from Illinois bank safety deposit boxes that have been abandoned for at least five years. The Cash Dash program helps reunite owners with their unclaimed property. On average, the Cash Dash program returns about $80 million dollars annually to owners. It’s common for people to lose track of their assets when they move or when loved ones pass away. Businesses and banks are required to turn over unclaimed accounts to the treasurer’s office.
Some examples of unclaimed property currently held by the treasurer’s office include the following:
- Money in inactive savings and checking accounts,
- Unpaid wages or commissions,
- Stocks, bonds and mutual funds,
- Money orders and bill overpayments,
- Paid-up life insurance policies and
- Safety deposit box contents.
To find out if you have unclaimed property through Cash Dash, you can visit the treasurer’s Web site treasurer.il.gov and follow the Cash Dash link. You also can contact the Unclaimed Property Division by calling 217-785-6998 or emailing email@example.com.