Most DuPage County high school students prefer Barack Obama over Mitt
Romney, according to mock elections conducted earlier this month.
The only schools where students chose Romney over Obama was Wheaton North, where 682 students voted for Romney and 677 students voted for Obama, and Benet Academy, where 315 students voted for Romney and 173 voted for Obama, according to the DuPage Election Commission. Hinsdale Central students also chose Romney.
The Wheaton League of Women Voters (LWV) and the DuPage County Board of Election Commissioners staged and coordinated the mock elections at Wheaton North and Wheaton Warrenville South high schools
The elections were staged and coordinated at 18 high schools by the League of Women Voters (LWV) and the DuPage County Board of Election Commissioners.
In all, Obama-Biden received 9,540 votes and Romney-Ryan 5,281 votes. The Libertarian ticket received 479 votes, the Green ticket 468 votes and there were 633 write-in votes cast.
“We are pleased to partner with the League of Women Voters in this worthy and important effort to acquaint students with the democratic process,” Cathy Ficker Terrill, Chairperson of the Election Commission said in a statement.
Missey Wilhelm, Vice President of the League of Women Voters of Wheaton said in a statement, “We have a long history of community involvement and leadership, including many non-partisan election activities but our work with high schools and elementary schools in organizing mock elections is a particularly rewarding experience."
School-by-school results were as follows:
- Wheaton North: Obama 677, Romney 682
- Wheaton-Warrenville South: Obama 1,003, Romney 640
- Benet: Obama 173, Romney 315
- Downers Grove North: Obama 969, Romney 490
- Westmont: Obama 226, Romney 73
- Addison Trail: Obama 222, Romney 104
- Glenbard East: Obama 1,272, Romney 379
- Hinsdale Central: Obama 172, Romney 243
- York: Obama 896, Romney 544
- Glenbard South: Obama 307, Romney 203
- Glenbard West: Obama 883, Romney 402
- Lake Park East: Obama 213, Romney 103
- Lake Park West: Obama 238, Romney 153
- Naperville Central: Obama 122, Romney 59
- Naperville North: Obama 256, Romney 135
- Waubonsie Valley: Obama 223, Romney 115
- West Chicago: Obama 402, Romney 138
- Glenbard North: Obama 1,286, Romney 503
In Congressional races, students preferred Mike Quigley over Don Schmitt in the 5th District, Peter Roskam over Leslie Coolidge in the 6th, Tammy Duckworth over Joe Walsh in 8th and Bill Foster over Judy Biggert in the 11th.
The League of Women Voters received $7,125 in grant money from the election commission. Downers Grove, Lisle, Woodridge, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Naperville and Wheaton chapters of the LWV helped conduct the elections at the 18 schools during the first week of October.
Correction: Wheaton North was not the only school where students voted for Romney. Benet Academy and Hinsdale Central students also preferred Romney to Obama.