"We need to get justice for John," Stephanie McNeil told the Kane County Chronicle.
McNeil was joined by supporters at the Belleau Woods Forest Preserve. On Thursday they also searched a wooded area next to Center Ice Hockey Rink in Glen Ellyn.
Some DuPage County Forest Preserve staff dug up a suspicious-looking mound of dirt someone found, but it turned out to be nothing, the Chronicle's story said.
Word of a third search on Sunday at an undisclosed location was mentioned earlier this week on McNeil's Missing John Spira Facebook page, but it was unclear whether that search would still take place.
Spira was last seen on Feb. 23, 2007 outside his Universal Cable Construction business in unincorporated West Chicago. Spira was last seen by his business partner, Dave Stubben, who has avoided public comment on the case for years.
McNeil has repeatedly voiced suspicions that both Stubben and her brother's late wife might know more about Spira's disappearance than they have admitted. Over time, she has come to believe that her brother was murdered.
The Sheriff's Office in the past has only referred to Spira's disappearance as a missing persons case and an ongoing investigation. McNeil said investigators have also suggested that he chose to disappear and possibly start a new life elsewhere, but she rejects that theory.
If you have any information about Spira's disappearance, please contact the Sheriff’s Office at 630-407-2333.
- Search for Missing DuPage Businessman to Continue in Wheaton, Glen Ellyn
- Baffling Disappearance of St. Charles Man Still Unsolved
- Missing St. Charles Man John Spira's Sister Hires Investigator to Assist in Search
- Family Pledges 'Justice' for Missing St. Charles Man
- Missing St. Charles Man's Sister Keeps Case in Public Eye
- Missing Man's Biz Partner Told Stories of Million-Dollar Debt, 'Mysterious Life'