Can I come over and watch that documentary about cats you keep telling me about?
Some of us just hate Valentine's Day—and will do anything to try and avoid it.
But for those in relationships—committed or on the rocks—it's a day full of opportunities.
If you have a girlfriend who says Valentine's Day not a big deal, this is a time—an opportunity—to remember the advice you read about, "What she says vs. what she means."
"It's not a big deal," means: "I don't like teddy bears that say 'I love you', but I do like flowers, chocolates and extra attention."
"Valentine's Day is the best," means: "I'm really hoping Valentine's Day is the best—so make it happen."
Women are planners. No matter how spontaneous or easygoing she is, somewhere in there, she's planning how she'll make her next, free-spirited move. So, if the night is a surprise, tell her ahead of time.
Just don't be the man without a plan.
So here are a few of the easiest, most textbook steps you can take to pull off a successful Valentine's Day.
1. Did you get the flowers?
Try any of these local shops:
- Winfield Flower Shoppe (online ordering here)
- All Flowers by Marisa
- Expressions Flowers & Gift (online ordering here)
- Phillip's Flowers & Gifts (online ordering here
- Jewel Osco (online ordering here)
2. Do you have dinner plans?
They'll say they're filling up fast. If you call today, you should be OK. (If you're not, congratulations to them on killing it in the dead of winter.)
- Adelle's Fine American Fare, 630-784-8015
- Arrowhead Restaurant and Bar, 630-510-5070
- The Bank Restaurant & Bar, 630-665-2265
- The Cellar Bistro, 630-653-6299
- Il Sogno Ristorante, 630-682-5900
- Ivy Restaurant, 630-665-2489
- Domo 77, 630-690-3277
- Cozymel's Mexican Grill, 630-871-1030
- Sushi House, 630-221-8986
- Sushi Mono, 630-752-0102
- Suzette's Creperie, 630-462-0898
- Wok'n Fire, 630-665-1374
- Warren's Ale House, 630-462-5126
3. Movies? Check the Feb. 14 movie times at Studio Movie Grill:
- Good Day to Die Hard: 1:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 10:10 p.m.
- Safe Haven: 1:55 p.m., 4:35 p.m., 7:00 p.m., 9:55 p.m.
- Beautiful Creatures: 1 p.m., 4 p.m., 7 p.m., 9:55 p.m.
- 2D Escape From Planet Earth: 1:15 p.m., 3:35 p.m., 6 p.m., 8:30 p.m.
- Valentine's Day by the Numbers
- Table Host Saves Valentine's Day
- Patch Picks: Romantic Restaurants for Valentine's Day
- Editor's Picks: Movies About Love to Watch this Valentine's Day
- Valentine's Day Cards You'll Never Find in the Store
- Valentine's Day: One Guy's Guilty-Pleasure Love Songs
- Health Department: Put a Healthy Spin on Valentine's Day Snacks