On April 5, Wheaton voters have the opportunity to make an important decision. This decision is extremely important to the long-term viability of Downtown Wheaton, however; it should not be a difficult one.
Voting Yes means:
- We provide the Wheaton City Council the direction to continue to explore all reasonable options for the redevelopment of this historic property.
- TIF taxes—not general fund property taxes—will most likely provide the $150,000 in public funding.
- The opportunity for Downtown Wheaton to become a center of cultural entertainment with a higher quality of life can become a reality.
Voting No means:
- The likelihood of the City Council pursuing any public/private partnerships for theater redevelopment decreases.
- The likelihood of demolition—adding another vacant property to downtown—increases.
The current reality:
- No other option for maintaining the viability of Downtown is on the table.
- Every major development in downtown Wheaton in the last 10 + years has had public funding support; either through TIF funds or infrastructure improvements.
- The rehabilitation of historic buildings typically requires public funding, both here in DuPage County and Nationwide.
- The theater redevelopment has the potential to bring tax dollars to Wheaton from visitors outside of Wheaton.
- Voting yes does not commit the City to a redevelopment option.
As a property owner and business owner of a non-retail business in downtown Wheaton, I am prepared to continue to pay TIF property taxes to maintain the viability of Downtown Wheaton. The Wheaton Grand Theater is a unique historic resource; this is not the time for an unnecessary “do nothing” vote.
Please take advantage of more details at www.TheFriendsOfTheTheater.org