And Patch.com knows there are plenty of residents out there willing to lend a helping hand.
With that in mind, Patch.com has looked to volunteermatch.org., a website aimed at bringing "good people and causes together," for volunteer opportunities currently posted for the area. Here is a look at five of those opportunities:
- Magazine Publishers Family Literacy Project is looking for a volunteer literacy ambassador to help collect and bundle recycled magazines for literacy programs in homeless and domestic violence shelters, food pantries, mentoring and job training program. More information is available on VolunteerMatch.org.
- LAN 63-Local Area Network is looking for veterans or military members to assist veterans and their loved ones. Read more about this volunteer opportunity on VolunteerMatch.org.
- DuPage County Health Department Behavioral Health Services is looking for volunteers to read books to our clients' children during selected DuPage County Health Deparment clinic hours. Read more on VolunteerMatch.org.
- People's Resource Center is looking for computer instructors to volunteer to teach computer classes in Windows, Excel, Powerpoint and other Microsoft applications as well as food pantry volunteers and computer service representative.
- MetroMentors Youth Mentoring is looking for mentors to meet one-to-one with a child in grades 1 - 8. Mentors meet one hour a week to take part in activities the kids enjoy.VolunteerMatch.org has more information.