Winter athletics at the old Hubble school building will begin a few weeks late, in early February after a delay in construction at the school.
Bergen Construction Corp. in September signed on to renovate the gyms for the Wheaton Park District, with plans to receive a for a Jan. 1 completion. Parks Executive Director Mike Benard said Thursday the delay is due to a backorder of custom-made air handlers.
The park district partnered with Bradford Equities, LLC, the developer buying the District 200 property and building a Mariano's Fresh Market at the corner of Naperville and Roosevelt roads.
The park district bought a portion of the Hubble school building from Bradford for $3 million to maintain its gym and outdoor recreation space.
Related Patch articles:
- District 200 to Sell Hubble Bricks
- Park District to Pay Bonus for Jan. 1 Completion of Hubble Gyms
- District 200 Creates Escrow Fund for Hubble Proceeds
- Wheaton Council Approves Hubble Development Plans
- Live Coverage: Wheaton Hearing on Hubble Development
- City Staff Suggests New Conditions for Hubble Plans
- Park District Using Grant to Buy Hubble Gyms
- Residents Can Attend "Advance Presentation" of Hubble Site Plans