No Injuries in Townhome Fire
A home is uninhabitable after a 3 a.m. fire that investigators believe started near the fireplace.
No one was hurt in a fire in the basement of a Wheaton townhome Wednesday at 1147 E. Rhodes Ct., according to a press release from the Wheaton Fire Department.
Fire crews responded to the fire about 3 a.m. and were able to control it within 15 minutes, according to the release. The home was occupied at the time. All occupants exited safely.
The residence is one of four units in the building and all other occupants evacuated without incident.
The fire was confined to the original unit, which sustained "considerable damage" to the basement and a portion of the first floor. The adjoining units were temporarily affected by smoke conditions, according to the release.
Investigators believe the fire was an accident that started near the fireplace, which was in use before the fire. The unit is now uninhabitable due to the damage, according to the release.