District 200 Board to Vote on Jefferson Referendum
The District 200 Board of Education tonight will decide on a ballot question related to plans to rebuild Jefferson Early Childhood Center.
The District 200 Board of Education tonight will vote on a referendum question asking taxpayers to support an increase to pay for a new Jefferson Early Childhood Center.
The board last month reviewed two revised and less expensive concepts for a new school to replace the 1958 structure that currently houses students at 130 N. Hazelton Ave.
The $17.6 million, 59,000-square-foot concept is less expensive than the originally proposed $29 million and $18.3 million projects, and eliminates plans for district administrative offices and the additional parking they would require.
There are plenty of ways to keep up with Wheaton news:
The board agreed last month that it wants to issue bonds for the entire project, which would result in up to $51 added to taxpayers' bills. After hearing four financing options for the project, the board directed staff to prepare a resolution for the January vote with a plan to bond $17.6 million, amortize some of the principal annually with no debt service extension past 2023.
The estimated tax increase for residents in a $200,000 to $500,000 home would be $19 to $51.
Legat Architect Patrick Brosnan laid out the following schedule to board members for the project:
- Referendum: April 2013
- Design: April 2013-January 2014
- Bidding: February (?) 2014
- Construction: March 2014-April 2015
- Occupancy: August 2015
The board will meet 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 9 at Hubble Middle School.
- District 200 Officials Want $18M Referendum to Rebuild Jefferson
- Jefferson Survey Responders Like Cheapest Option for New School
- District 200 to Survey Residents in Jefferson Preschool Plans
- Residents Can Learn, Question New Preschool Plans at Community Forums
- District 200 Proposes 2 Options for New Jefferson Preschool
- New Preschool Plans the Focus of District 200 Community Forums
- District 200 to Seek Input in Plans for a New Jefferson Preschool in Wheaton
- District 200 Considers Jefferson Preschool Replacement Plans