City Council to Consider Courthouse Square Senior Housing Proposal
Wheaton City Council will receive a developer's plan to build senior housing at Courthouse Square in downtown Wheaton.
CORRECTION: Wheaton City Council will not vote Monday on the Courthouse Square development request.
Wheaton City Council tonight will receive developer's request to build a senior housing facility Courthouse Square in downtown Wheaton.
Council members will vote after the city's Planning and Zoning Board voted 6-1 last month against recommending Council approve the project.
Courthouse Land Development is requesting approval of a special use permit to build a six-story, 167-unit senior housing development at Courthouse Square, where developers originally planned to finish a condo development. The project remains incomplete as a result of the housing market crash in 2008.
Readers responded to Patch's post on the zoning board vote. Here is what they had to say:
- John said, "The city council will approve this project. They need to bail out the developer and themselves from a bad deal. Too bad for the condo residents."
- Maria said, "The neighbors will sue if the city council approves this.
The plan commission decision in their favor will help their case."
- Mark L. said, "It would be outrageous for the City to go ahead and approve this, but if they do, it means that no current property owner in Wheaton can have the confidence that the City will protect them in similar future circumstances."
The Wheaton City Council will meet at 7 p.m. Monday at City Hall, 303 Wesley St., Wheaton.
Other Courthouse Square articles on Patch:
- Zoning Board Votes 6-1 Against Senior Housing Proposal for Courthouse Square
- Homeowner: Senior Housing at Courthouse Square Would be "Inappropriate" Use of Space (Resident's letter to the editor)
- Wheaton Officials Agree Developer Can Build Senior Housing at Courthouse Square
- Wheaton Zoning Board to Revisit Senior Housing Proposal at Courthouse Square
- Wheaton Zoning Board to Consider Proposal for Senior Housing at Courthouse Square
- Courthouse Square Residents Oppose Possible Senior Center
- Courthouse Square—Change in Plans? (Former city councilman writes about development proposal)